Metal Laser Cutting Services
As our name suggests, Laserfab provides a wide range of laser cutting services for clients in a cross-section of industries and sectors. We've invested heavily in laser cutting machines and other technology and training that allows us to provide high-quality services at a reasonable price point.
Laserfab specializes in precision high-speed custom metal laser cutting services for a wide variety of applications and industries. With advanced equipment, streamlined processes and experienced staff, we have everything needed to deliver exceptional quality parts as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Sheet metal laser cutting is a smart choice for any process that requires accuracy, precision and fast turnaround time. We would be happy to provide a quote or more information about our laser cutting and fabrication capabilities. Contact our Lebanon, PA, office by phone or email for assistance.
What Is Laser Cutting?
Laser cutting uses a focused beam of high-intensity light to cut through a thin sheet of material. Using either a pulsed or continuous beam, a laser cutter vaporizes the edge of the material, producing a clean cut with exceptional accuracy. Operators use a computer numerical control (CNC) device to program cuts for mass production of sheet metal parts.
There are several different types of laser tools for custom metal cutting, though at Laserfab, we use a technology known as a fiber laser. A fiber laser uses a series of glass fibers and pump diodes to amplify a seed laser, delivering a more intense beam with improved cutting power. Also, fiber lasers require less maintenance, which means less downtime for our team — and a faster turnaround time for your project.
Laser Cutting Applications
Laser cutting is useful for any machining process requiring superior accuracy and precision. It is suitable for anything from simple parts such as metal gaskets to more complex components. Because it is highly repeatable with little dimensional variance, laser cutting is an excellent choice for mass production and high-volume component prototyping.
We cover some of the specific materials and industries we work with below. If you're unsure whether or not laser cutting is right for your custom metal cutting project, contact us to speak with one of our engineering experts directly.
The Laserfab Laser Cutting Process
Laser cutting is a material modification process where an intense beam of high-density light energy, guided by mirrors, cuts into metal and a variety of materials vaporizing the material upon impact. At Laserfab, our powerful cutting centers, experienced staff and advanced processes result in quality products every time, maximizing the benefits of this advanced process.
Machining precision laser-cut components requires three things.
Cutting-Edge Equipment: Laserfab accomplishes our laser cutting process using cutting-edge fiber laser technology that facilitates increased laser cutting speed and superior material capabilities. Combined with Laserfab’s expertise and experience, this high-tech equipment can produce perfect parts for all of your special needs. Our cutting technology includes the following laser machines:
- TRUMPF 5030 fiber laser machine
- TRUMPF 5040 fiber laser machine
- TRUMPF 3030 fiber laser machine
- TRUMPF 4030 CO2 laser machine
- Salvagnini L3 fiber laser machine
Advanced Software: Our lasers run on state-of-the-art software such as AutoCAD, SOLIDWORKS, Lantek Expert and IGEMS to ensure accuracy and efficiency. Achieving the highest levels of precision and dependability eliminates factors that could cost valuable time in the production process.
Seasoned Professionals: At Laserfab, precision metal fabrication is our business focus, and we take it very seriously. All of our employees have worked in the steel, aluminum, stainless steel sheet metal and fabrication industry for many years. Our experience and commitment show in the quality of the products and services we provide to our customers.
It all starts with a consultation. When you meet with our team, we'll discuss your project in detail, taking into consideration your budget, your timeline and your industry, among other factors.
What Are The Advantages of Laser Cutting?
Laser technology isn't right for every custom metal cutting application, but it offers several general benefits. Some advantages of choosing laser cutting for your project include:
Some of the advantages laser cutting provides include:
- Minimal Imperfections: Laser cutting processes produce smooth cutting areas, minimal burrs or other imperfections. The process also results in minimal heat distortion and material warping. By eliminating such imperfections, operators reduce the need for secondary operation on the part.
- High-Precision Cutting: Laser cutting typically holds a tolerance of +/- .005, making it a highly precise cutting method. This high cut precision reduces the need for secondary operation on the part, as well as part scrapping.
- Minimal Damage: Laser cutting is highly suitable for delicate materials in part because it is a non-contact process — the laser vaporizes the material but does not come in direct content with it, and no blades are involved.
- Superior Control: Laser cutting gives the operator precise control over the laser's size and intensity, allowing them to tailor operation to best suit the needs of the material and the process.
- Fewer Tooling Requirements: Laser cutting doesn't require to use of a custom mold or specialty tool, which makes it more affordable and better suited for short-run applications.
- Quick Turnaround: With reduced tooling requirements and minimal secondary operation, laser cutting allows for much quicker turnaround times on most jobs. Laser cutting provides a better, cleaner result with minimal warping or heat distortion, reducing the need for secondary operations that cost you time and money.
- Broad Material Capabilities: Custom laser cutting can produce nearly any two-dimensional shape, increasing the possibilities of production. The types of metals that can be cut using commercial laser cutting services further expand these capabilities — steel, aluminum and stainless steel laser cutting services are the most common, but non-ferrous metals like copper, brass and bronze are also compatible.
Many of these advantages directly benefit our clients by allowing us to deliver a higher quality finished product for less. Others — such as the safety and maintenance benefits listed above — help us keep our overhead costs low, so we can pass the savings onto you.
What Materials Can Be Cut With Laser?
Laser cutting is one of the most versatile machining and fabrication processes. It is suitable for use on many different sheet metals — switching between materials is fast and easy, making it possible to manufacture more complex parts and components.
Fabrication services can use laser cutting for thick and thin metal sheets, provided they fall within the following dimensional requirements.
- Mild Steel Laser Cutting– 1 Inch Thick
- Stainless Steel Laser Cutting – 1 Inch Thick
- Aluminum Laser Cutting – 1 Inch Thick
- Copper Laser Cutting – 3/16 Inch Thick
- Brass Laser Cutting – 3/16 Inch Thick
Laserfab also works with sheet metal up to 82" by 160".
Our laser cutting shop is capable of producing intricate geometries, punching holes, creating precise slits and performing additional processes on the above materials.
What Industries Do We Serve?
Laser cutting is an excellent resource for a variety of applications within several industries. A few examples include laser cutting metal services for:
- Chemical mixing
- Wireless communications
- Industrial rack manufacturing
- Industrial baking
Contact Laserfab to Request a Quote
Based in Lebanon, PA, Laserfab offers custom metal laser cutting for clients throughout Central PA, as well as in Philadelphia, New York, Washington, D.C., and beyond. We have an extensive selection of sheet metals in stock and can turn around even high volume projects with speed and accuracy. We are a true partner to clients at all stages of the supply chain — let us help you bring better products to market with our precision fabrication services.
Find out why we're a leading laser cutting company by requesting your free quote today.