Metal Waterjet Cutting Services
Laserfab offers advanced waterjet cutting services, ideal for producing custom parts for an array of applications and industries. These waterjet cutting metal services enable us to make difficult cuts and quality results that are simply impossible to achieve with other cutting processes or equipment. From fine detail cuts to handling oversized pieces in large applications, Laserfab’s waterjet capabilities can deliver on your special requirements.
Laserfab's metal waterjet cutting services help bring quality products to market. Waterjet cutting is an excellent alternative to laser cutting and other processes — especially when working with thicker sheet metal.
Waterjet cutting is one of our main service verticals. Working with clients in a range of different industries, we are your partner for manufacturing and prototyping. We can meet your unique requirements and deliver quality work with a fast turnaround time. Keep reading to learn more about custom waterjet metal cutting, or contact us directly for assistance.
What Is Waterjet Cutting?
Waterjet cutting is the process of using a concentrated stream of high-pressure water to cut sheet metal or other materials. Often, abrasive particles such as garnet are mixed in with the water to provide additional cutting power. Laserfab uses waterjet cutting machines capable of producing up to 87,000 psi of pressure — enough to quickly cut through various types of sheet metal.
CNC software controls the cutting tool, allowing for perfect repeatability and high dimensional tolerances. Manufacturers use waterjet cutting to fabricate parts and components for many different industries.
Waterjet Cutting Applications
Waterjet cutting's main advantages over laser cutting are that it generates no heat and is suitable for use with thicker materials. It produces burr-free parts with minimal contact, leading to a cleaner final product that requires fewer additional processes to complete.
Because of this, waterjet custom metal cutting is ideal for both long- and short-run fabrication projects. We cover some of the industries it's used by below — for more information about whether or not abrasive waterjet cutting is right for you, contact Laserfab and speak directly with one of our representatives.
The Laserfab Waterjet Cutting Process
A waterjet cutter features a nozzle — also called a focusing tube or mixing tube — and a pressurized water supply, powered by a pump. The pump pressurizes the water to the desired level, while the nozzle directs the stream. If abrasives are required for additional cutting power, they are mixed into the steam before it goes through the nozzle.
CNC software allows machine operators to program complex processes and ensure repeatability. At Laserfab, we use Lantek Expert software, one of the most advanced options on the market today. Lantek Expert allows us to program automatic lead-in, lead-out and rapidtraverse lines, and plot locations, gaps and entry and exit points to optimize the fabrication process.
The final component in the waterjet cutting process is our team of expert engineers. We can design a fabrication routine that works for your project and produces flawless custom machined parts for any application.
Laserfab’s Dynamic Waterjet cutting technology, combined with the FlowMaster software, provides even better results with this process. With significantly higher cutting speeds, Laserfab’s system results in attractive value and cost savings for even the most challenging projects.
What Are The Advantages of Waterjet Cutting?
Advantages of waterjet cutting include:
- Economical: Waterjet cutting metal services are an economical method for cutting two-dimensional shapes of all types with minimal tooling costs. It’s also much faster than a conventional waterjet, meaning lower cost to you!
- Minimal Imperfections: The process results in good edge quality, with no burrs. The process also generates no heat, eliminating material bending and distortion. With all these imperfections reduced, operators reduce the need for secondary operation on the part, reducing overall wear on tools and minimizing costs and turnaround times.
- Broad Material Capabilities: Custom waterjet cutting services can be used to cut a variety of materials, and waterjet cutting for thick and thin metal sheets is widely accessible, provided the part in question falls within certain dimensional parameters. While aluminum, steel and, stainless steel waterjet cutting services are the most common, the commercial waterjet cutting industry also works with other materials like copper, brass and bronze
- Excellent Quality: Waterjet cutting produces excellent results with no burrs and minimal imperfections. Its high dimensional tolerance and heat-free performance result in components that require fewer secondary operations or additional processing.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Waterjet cutting has minimal tooling costs and produces virtually no waste. As a result, it is one of the most economical ways to bring a product to market or create a short run of prototypes.
- Safety: Waterjet cutting produces no poisonous gases or hazardous byproducts. The stream itself is minimally exposed, which presents less risk of an on-the-job accident compared to conventional cutting tools.
- Environmental Friendliness: Water used in waterjet metal cutting can be automatically reclaimed and recycled for future use. Because cutting is more accurate, the process creates less waste overall.
- Low Maintenance: Waterjet cutters are relatively low-maintenance, with few wearable parts other than the nozzle, which is fast and easy to replace when necessary. As a result, we maximize uptime and complete large production runs faster.
- Versatile: Waterjet cutting is suitable for use with a range of different sheet metals, which we outline below.
What Are The Cutting Capabilities of a Waterjet?
Laserfab's waterjet capabilities produce tolerances of +/- .030", with an edge finish of 250 rms or better at standard cutting speeds. We can work with sheet metal up to 4" thick and up to 78″ x 156″ in size. Whatever the task involves, we will quickly turnaround your project while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
We provide custom cutting using the following materials:
- Cut thin gauge sheets up to 4″ plate, all to the tightest tolerances.
- Tolerances of +/- .030 are standard.
- Table size of 78″ x 156″.
- Edge finish is 250 rms or better cut at standard cutting speeds.
- All metal alloys and many non-metal materials can be cut with total precision (taper is virtually eliminated).
- Mild steel
- Stainless steel
- And more
With an extensive selection of sheet metals on hand, we can get your project up and running quicker. We can also assist with sourcing specialty materials and provide big-picture advice on selecting the best metal for your application. For more information about our custom metal waterjet cutting capabilities, contact the Laserfab office directly by phone or email.
What Industries Do We Serve?
From art to industry, waterjet metal cutting has a wide range of applications. Waterjet cutting is a highly precise process, which makes it ideal for finely detailed components, as well as any application where tight dimensional tolerances or strict quality regulations are an issue. Waterjet cutting is fast and economical enough to support manufacturing at scale, though it is cost-effective for one-off or prototyping jobs, too.
Waterjet cutting is an excellent resource for a variety of applications within many industries. A few examples include waterjet cutting services for:
- Nuclear: Power plants and other energy sector organizations requiring custom cut metal flanges, plates, brackets and other components
- Chemical mixing: Processing and other industrial plants requiring unique mixing paddles, blades and blending equipment
- Industrial rack manufacturing
- Industrial baking: Manufacturing and other environments requiring waterjet-cut racks and storage
- Construction and contracting, with an emphasis on businesses in need of custom architectural siding and HVAC components
- Wireless communications
- Medical: Device manufacturing and other applications where precision is essential
Visit our industry pages to learn more about how we can tailor our services to your application.
Areas We Serve:
Let Laserfab become a partner in your business’ supply chain, with advanced technology and collaborative staff that will help your business achieve the best results in your product line. From choosing your fabrication method to finding a quality finishing company, we’ll be here to help every step of the way.
Laserfab is a leading waterjet cutting company based in Lebanon, PA. We specialize in delivering a superior customer experience through a combination of great service, excellent communication, cutting-edge technology and industry expertise. We work with clients in all industries, both in Central PA and nearby metropolitan centers, including New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.